Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Seasons of Love


It’s always strange to stop and remember being a wide-eyed sixth grader, new to middle school, unaware of my goals, dreams, convictions, beliefs and where I would be as a 21-year-old woman. It was the year I met (or, rather, stalked would be a better term) Luis Mancilla. He was an eighth grader who did the morning announcements on the TV for the Peer Assistance Leadership events. Cool in every way J I was smitten at once and so, in sixth grade girl fashion, my friends and I would follow him around and bug him. We looked him up in the yearbook and discovered his real name is Jose. We sure had a field day with that. We started a Jose Luis fan club. He remembers being annoyed with me, but I bet he never would’ve guessed that nine years later I would still be following him around annoying him. Haha.

In life, the person who becomes your ultimate confidant starts out as a stranger, so it could’ve been anyone. I think of all the random events in my life that led me to Bernice Ayer Middle School in 2000 to meet the man who I want to spend the rest of my life with; it leaves me speechless and praising God for his planning. There is no perfect guidebook to dating or learning how to love someone. We thank God that his Word directs us on many issues and gives us a picture of love through Christ and the Church. Through arguments, miscommunications, and breaks we have learned that when we rely on each other too much, that is when we fall. When our emotions are dependent upon our standing with one another we lose sight of all that God has for us. As we have matured individually in our walks with the Lord, we are finally understanding how great of a blessing relationships can be. I am thankful that the Lord has been patient with us and given us so many chances to change our affections towards Him. Lately, more than ever, I have been blessed by the man that Luis is; how he leads me towards Christ more every day, how he loves my family, his prayers and encouragement to be a Godly woman, the way he makes me laugh and cares so much for me. I am thankful for this season of life that we have together to enjoy each other and I am hopeful for what the future holds.

2 comments:

  1. This is precious. I am so glad God has blessed you with someone like Luis. Even though I don't know him well, I know what he means to you, and that is enough for me to approve. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for His blessings for you both!

    ReplyDelete