Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Limp

Today I am reflecting on Genesis 32:22-31... Jacob's wrestle with God.
Jacob walked away from the scene with a limp and a new name.
Those who walk deeply with God know the depth of struggle.
There is only so far in a relationship that you can go without a struggle (in both earthly relationships and our relationship to God). Without a struggle, relationships can only go surface deep. Wrestling with God is an intimate and close moment. In the midst of the battle, you see the depth of how God ticks. God won't let you cut and run. You have to engage and ask yourself "Do I believe?" This question is at the core of our 'wrestle' with God.
The beauty is, he will fight for my trust.
Jacob walked away from the fight with a limp and a new name.
God will take our name and contend it with who He is (Jacob became Israel meaning "He strives with God")
Jacob walk changes. He is now marked by a limp. He is marked by crisis. The limp is a reminder of our ability and God's power.
The night before Christ was crucified, he wrestled with God.
Our limp and the hands of Christ are a reminder that God is 100% able in all circumstances.

Today I am reminded that I am powerless, that I walk with a limp, but I am covered by a God who will fight for my trust and my belief.
Learning not to hide "the limp".

No comments:

Post a Comment