Sunday, March 21, 2010

Great Expectations

Those who know me well know that I live my life with great expectations. I am not a fan of an anticipated surprises. If I know that something "great" is in my future but it is kept a surprise, I will come up with various scenarios that are great according to me and my expectations. The problem is that I always over-anticipate things and make them a bit too grand. I hate hate hate the feeling that comes when something doesn't meet these expectations because If I hadn't been waiting for something to happen, the surprise in itself would've been greatly appreciated. So... the point is: I have too high of expectations for most everything.
This fault has manifested itself in my spring break as well. I'm not the girls gone wild MTV spring break kinda girl, but I was hoping for some good adventures and hang out times with friends. Something out of the norm. Something that gave me a glimpse of summer in all its glory.
These expectations (as usual) were somewhat unrealistic considering I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled the first day of break. So there goes about 4 days. Laying on the couch, soft foods, movies, and pain meds. Not idyllic. I began sulking about a wasted spring break as the days became a blur of naps and mid-day sitcoms.
I have decided on this final day of spring break to be thankful
for all the great things that did happen this week. Working on having a thankful and joyful heart.
So here it goes....
I am incredibly thankful for this man who is not only my best friend and soul mate, but who has a seemingly endless supply of patience for me. I am thankful for all the time he spends with me and my family, for his prayers and encouragement, the way he makes me laugh so hard and feel better when I'm sick. He is godsend to my life and someone that I thank God for every day.

I am thankful for the Lavender Lounge Tea Company for providing delicious tea and a safe haven for the stressed soul. Their new patio was a rejuvenating and relaxing place to enjoy this mango tea.
I am thankful that I had the opportunity to have a car wash on saturday to raise money for my trip to Uganda this summer. We took donations for the wash and I raised about $140!

I am thankful for cards and board games (things that have a one-time small cost that bring hours and hours of bonding time with my family and Luis). The memories of playing games are some of the best I have... it's like my family's thing

I am thankful that I got to walk around the Dana Point Harbor and take pictures and enjoy the beautiful weather of Orange County while spending some quality alone time with my thoughts.

I am thankful that I had time to read Three Cups of Tea and listen to music (mostly The Temper Trap, Eisley, Regina Spektor, Frou Frou and John Mayer this week).

These are just a few of the many things that brought me joy this week. They overshadow any negative and unpleasant experiences (i.e. wisdom teeth extractions) and remind me that I am a blessed woman.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to be thankful:) Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina Spektor makes anything better. Including wisdom teeth extractions, I hope they let you keep them! Love the blog, love that I can stalk you even more.

    ReplyDelete