Friday, November 12, 2010

"Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"

I had an interesting talk with a friend last night. It was helpful to “talk out” so many things that have been on my mind, and yet, it has only led to more thoughts and contemplations. I am not opposed to thinking but I am certainly getting annoyed with thoughts that endlessly circle through my brain with no end in sight.

The conversation was about Christianity and Christians.

The two don’t seem to coincide as nicely as one would like.

Gandhi probably said it best when he stated, “I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Now, when I claim Christ as my savior I am well aware that I will never be just like Christ. It’s something called Imperfection, and I am a walking billboard for it.

People say Christianity is "just a crutch" for the weak... well, i would have to say that Christianity is an entire body stretcher that I, the weakest of all sinners, must rest upon to find salvation in Christ.

The problem lies in the fact that Christians are the some of the gnarliest hypocrites walking around this little planet. I think the hypocrisy comes from the fact that the church is getting so privatized and we are afraid to be REAL with the world around us. We are well aware that we are FAR from perfect, but we are called to be Holy as Christ was Holy. We are called to live a life worthy of the calling we have received. We are claiming some pretty epic things when we claim the name of Christ and we simply can’t live up to them… in our own power.

This little blogger rant could go on and on and on but I will spare everyone from the journey into the depths of my mind and conclude with this:

I am learning to separate my faith in Christ from my faith in Christians. That might sound strange but I can often find myself blaming my lack of faith in certain areas on Christians instead of the true source of my faith, the scriptures and the life of Christ.

I’d like to hear your thoughts, if you have any, on this topic.

The endless circle continues in my brain as I try to figure out this whole “living by Faith” thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment