Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Grown Ups

I’ve reached a time in my life where I am no longer getting invitations to themed birthday parties that begin with bowling and end with a sleepover. I open letters and receive invitations to Bridal and Baby Showers. I don’t feel 12 anymore but it does feel like just yesterday I was starting high school. But clearly that wasn’t yesterday (besides the fact that school doesn’t start in July and I am 21 years old). Things have changed since then. We’re making grown-up decisions… our parents as us for advice on things… And sleepovers cease to exist as your friends get husbands.

Time flies. I want to be in another time of life and then, sometimes in the same day, I want time to slow down so I can enjoy where I’m at right now.

“If we complain of time and take such joy in the seemingly timeless moment, what does that suggest? It suggests that we have not always been or will not always be purely temporal creatures. It suggests that we were created for eternity. Not only are we hurried by time; we seem unable, despite a thousand generations, even to get used to it. We are always amazed at it – how fast it goes, how slowly it goes, how much of it is gone. Where, we cry, has the time gone? We aren’t adapted to it, not at home in it. If that is so, it may appear as a proof, or at least a powerful suggestion, that eternity exists and is our home.”

I love this quote by C.S. Lewis because it captures something that all of us have felt before- the inability to feel completely at home in the temporal.

I’ll let my friends and family continue to grow up; I’ll be sleeping with my teddy bear and throwing themed birthday parties… and maybe I’ll accidentally grow up too.

“Too many people grow up. That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be 12 years old.” -Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment